Each year, when the USDA gives the food cost increase analysis of the past year along with their projections* for the current year, www.TheGroceryGame.com queries samplings from our databases. A reality check if you will. Last year, I presented some data, and made some predictions contrary to the USDA’s projections.
Feb. 28, 2011 http://www.thegrocerygame.com/blog/?p=6
March 7, 2011 http://www.thegrocerygame.com/blog/?p=5
March 9, 2011 http://www.thegrocerygame.com/blog/?p=3
April 30, 2011 http://www.thegrocerygame.com/blog/?p=1663958681
Sadly, I was right.
Now for this year’s statement from www.TheGroceryGame.com. Suffice it to say, if you didn’t notice, 2011 was a bad year, and 2012 has started off even worse. I’m at a loss for words. Let the numbers speak for themselves.
All data and price samplings generated by www.TheGroceryGame.com
“Retail-food costs rose 3.7 percent in 2011, the USDA said… ” -Bloomberg
- At AZ Safeway, the orig price of 25 oz Star Olive Oil increased 9.09% from Nov 2011- Jan 2012.
- At CA Vons, the orig price of 18 ct Lucerne Large Eggs jumped 24.31% July-Sept 2011. Prices have fluctuated between 3.89 and 4.19 since then.
- AZ Fry’s (Kroger) the orig price of a dozen Fry’s AA Large Eggs increased 15.07% Aug-Oct 2011 but have remained steady since then.
- At AZ Fry’s (Kroger) the orig price of a gallon of Frys milk jumped for the first time in 2 years from 3.49 to 3.79 in Dec 2011 (8.59% increase)
“In the new year, we saw prices jumping all over the country.”
- MI Meijer- V8 Splash has risen .10 (from 2.09 to 2.19) since Jan. 2012 (4.78% increase)
- MI Meijer- Red Baron Pizza jumped .50 (from 6.49 to 6.99) from Dec-Feb. 2012 ( 6.16% increase)
- MO HyVee- orig price of Boca Meatless foods rose .30 (3.99 to 4.29) Dec 2011-March 2012 (7.51% increase)
- NorthEast Wegmans- orgi price of Cheez-Its rose .20 (2.79 to 2.99) Dec. 2011-Jan. 2012 (7.16% increase)
- NorthEast Shoprite- orig price of Planters Peanuts rose .40 (3.59-3.99). (11.14% increase)
“Food prices rose faster in February than in any month since November of 1974, according to the federal government. That 3.9 percent increase is the biggest in 36 years.” –WCNC.com
- MI Mejer- orig price of Sargento Shredded Cheese has jumped .70 (from 2.79 to 3.49) end of Jan 2012 That’s a 25.08% increase!!
- MO HyVee- orig price of store brand butter jumped .60 (from 2.98 to 3.58) since Feb. Increase of 20.13%!!
- At CA Vons, the orig price of 25 oz Star Olive Oil Feb-March 2012 (4.35% increase)
- NC Food Lion/Bloom- orig price of Breyers Ice Cream rose .50 (6.49 to 6.99) Feb-March 2012 (7.7% increase)
- At MO HyVee- orig price of Orville Redenbachers Popcorn jumped .30 (from 2.98 to 3.28) Feb-March 2012 (10.06% increase)
- MI Meijer- orig price of Kellogg’s Cereal has jumped.20 (from 3.19-3.39) since Jan-Feb 2012 (6.26% increase)
- MI Mejer- orig price of Cheerios Cereal (14 oz) jumped .20 (from 2.99-3.19) from Jan-Feb 2012 (6.68% increase)
“It costs more to get the food to you, and the biggest increases are in vegetables, along with meat and dairy products.” – WCNC.com
- At AZ Fry’s (Kroger) the orig price of 16 oz Nathan’s Beef Franks increased 4.62% Jan-March 2012.
- NC Food Lion/Bloom- orig price of Grape Tomatoes went up .40 (2.99-3.39) Feb-March. Increase of 13.37%.
“Chicken and ground beef prices stayed the same (in February 2012).” – WCNC.com
- HyVee – Orig per lb price of Boneless skinless chicken breast has remained the same at 4.28/lb since Nov 2010.
- At CO Albies the orig per lb price of 93% Lean Ground Beef has remained constant at 3.99 lb since Dec 2011.
“US retail beef prices at record highs in 2011, often 10 percent higher than in 2010” –Beef Central
- At CA Vons, the orig price of Fresh 93% Lean Ground Beef increased 16.69% March-April 2011, but has stayed steady since then.
*USDA food cost projection for 2012 – The CPI for all food is projected to increase 2.5 to 3.5 percent in 2012.
All pricing data generated by www.TheGroceryGame.com